Job Title: Mechanical Design Engineer
Reports to: Engineering Manager
Position Type: Exempt
Date: March 31, 2020
The Mechanical Engineer is responsible for design and development of new products, taking them from a concept through the manufacturing process.
Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following, other duties may be assigned
- Develops mechanical and electromechanical products by:
- Studying customer requirements
- Researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials
- Soliciting observations from Operations
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components
- Assures product quality by designing and utilizing testing methods for finished- product and manufacturing system capabilities
- Evaluates mechanical and electromechanical systems and products by designing and conducting research programs; applying principles of mechanics, thermodynamics, hydraulics, heat transfer, and materials
- Prepares product reports by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing information and trends
- Accurately estimate budget and scope of projects
- Prepare product reports and documentation for product qualification and product changes
- Actively engage with customers to develop products
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The items listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Proven working experience in product development of mechanical or electromechanical assemblies
- Strong creativity and analytical skills in design
- Proficient in 3D solid modeling (Solid Works, Autodesk or other)
- Ability to clearly communicate technical knowledge
- Experience working directly with customers
- Ability to work collaboratively internally in a team environment
- Good technical writing skills
- Excellent prioritization and project development skills
- Familiar with product lifecycle management (PLM)
- Hands on experience with CAM and CAE software
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering required (Master’s preferred)
- Become proficient with both Autodesk Inventor and solid printing equipment
- Working on at least 1 new manufacturing improvement program
- 90 Days:
- Operating from a weekly status sheet on new product development projects
- Completed at least 1 new manufacturing improvement program
- Established relationships with new suppliers who support our Tool, Die and Injection Molding needs
- 180 Days:
- Have first fully functional, 100% Able produced Cambridge product
- 100% replacement of existing Cambridge manufacturing tooling as it pertains to the oven heating process.
Able Coil & Electronics is a full-service electromagnetic design and manufacturing company serving a wide range of industries including commercial, music, medical, laser, aerospace, communications, automotive, and military products.
Since 1969 Able Coil & Electronics has manufactured precision-wound coils, toroids, transformers, solenoids, cable and connector harnesses, and many other electrical assemblies.